November 27, 2007

"I've Got My Mojo Working," Muddy Waters

Song: "I've Got My Mojo Working"
Album: Muddy Waters At Newport 1960
Artist: Muddy Waters

There's nothing like Muddy Waters live. The man had wicked mojo on stage that comes through in this classic recording. There are two versions of this song on the album. I like the second one (song 8, 2:56). The band did two takes of the song back to back because the crowd loved it. Check out the scream at around 1:50 into the song. In the clip you can see what produced the scream-- Muddy starts dancing with a man on stage (5:43). This take is looser-- more the way I imagine Muddy would have done it on Maxwell Street in Chicago or in a delta juke joint.

Both takes are included in this priceless youtube clip. Check out how much fun the crowd is having, and how much fun Muddy is having performing.

Otis Span on piano, James Cotton on harmonica, Pat Hare on guitar, Francis Clay on drums, Andrew Stevenson on Bass.

No comments: