December 4, 2007

"Koko," Charlie Parker

Song: "Koko"
Album: The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes
Artist: Charlie "Bird" Parker

In music, you have to be either cool or good. Bird was both the coolest and the goodest.

When I listen to most music, I follow in my mind, imagine and groove along. When I listen to this, I can't do any of that. I only hear it. It's moving too fast and too good. When I'm listening to my library on random and this song plays, I stop what I'm doing. Like a glimpse of a humming bird at the feeder, it's over before I can comprehend the intricate beauty. Then I'm left with only an impression.

I highly recommend the Bird Lives web site. Check out the film page. If you can get past the miming, you won't be disappointed. Let the clips load before you try to watch them.

No comments: