December 28, 2007

"Thags' Dance," Oscar Peterson

Song: "Thags' Dance"
Album: The Sound of the Trio
Artist: Ed Thigpen, Oscar Peterson & Ray Brown

I learned of Oscar Peterson's passing (December 23rd) from this post on motel de moka. It's hard to calculate the influence of a figure so huge as Oscar Peterson. His wiki page states that Duke Ellington called him the "Maharaja of the keyboard." That, my friends, is cred.

This associated press article contained more praise from more awesome musicians than a Grammy tribute to Stevie Wonder.

Dave Brubeck: "I was in awe..."
Duke Ellington: "beyond category..."
Herbie Hancock: "redefined swing..."
Dianna Krall: "the reason I became a jazz pianist."
Marian McPartland: "the finest technician that I have seen."
Eldar Djangirov: "...my main artistic influence."

Here he is with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen live in Italy in 1961:





No comments: