January 4, 2008

"Just for Now," Imogen Heap

Song: "Just for Now"
Album: Speak for Yourself
Artist: Imogen Heap

I read this song like a love letter. Not the steamy sort, but as one from a friend with the insight and desire to call 'time-out' on the chaos of life, pause and remember.

Of course Imogen Heap is talented, has a great voice and makes innovative use of looping-- all assets. But, rarely does an artist assist me to access the playful, yet frequently heavy contents of my memories of youth the way Imogen Heap does. Her themes, her voice, and her techniques all help to accomplish this. I was amazed and delighted to learn from her wiki page that her mother was an art therapist. I feel that her music is originating from her creative voice of youth-- and that is my ideal for an artist.

To complete my total infatuation with Imogen Heap, I learned that she was left alone by her boarding school music teacher and that she responded by teaching herself. The eventual result... an incredibly introspective, personal style for which she was nominated for two Grammy's last year including Best New Artist. This kind of transcendence is undeniably attractive.

No comments: