January 16, 2008

"Nothing I Can Do," Ben Taylor

Song: "Nothing I Can Do"
Album: Another Run Around the Sun
Artist: Ben Taylor

I love the imagery in this very well made song by the son of James Taylor and Carly Simon. For me it's a love song, beautifully sung, using analogies such as the morning, lessons and rivers to describe the futility of resisting the pull of his lover. It could, however, mean different things to different people: the pull of god, death, nature perhaps.

I suppose I'm from the musical family inhabited by the Taylors and feel indebted to James Taylor for my early exposure to his awe inspiring collection of songs. One of his masterpieces though, along with Carly, has to be their success in passing on the music to their son. It would have been unthinkable had Ben become, say, a computer engineer.

I like to imagine their family sing-alongs when he was a kid!

No comments: